Sunday, January 2, 2011

Da mamma is more exciting than cow poop! YAHHH!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Mr Mav and Cinder had the perfect start to the new year with a great walk in the woods with 5 of their friends.  Yes - 7 dogs, 5 people.

With all of the big dogs running around him, Mr Mav desperately wanted to be let off leash, but there was no way that was happening until he was 100% with his recall.  Yes - even with all the distractions of 6 big dogs running around him (not to mention all of the new smells), Mr Mav is still expected to have a great recall.

We had a great time working on restrained recalls with him - and I'm pretty sure he enjoyed it too.  Run to the auntie when she calls me and I get a cookie?  Then I run back to da mamma when she calls my name and I get a cookie?  BONUS!  Great way to get a pooped puppy and train recalls at the same time.

When we got to a clearing (and Mr Mav had been doing well with his recalls while on leash) I thought I would try to see how he does off leash.  He was wonderful!  Even with all the cow patties around, Mr Mav  would run to da mamma every time he was called.  It was awesome and made it a really fun walk.  And the best part?  When we got back, ALL the dogs passed out!  I LOVE THAT PART!

Please note - I don't want you to think Mr Mav is some doggie prodigy (although he is REALLY cute - but I am a little biased).  At the park the other day, we were doing the same recall work and he simply wouldn't come.  And when I went towards him, he would run away.  I was shocked.  He had NEVER done that before.  My first reaction was "bad dog - what has gotten into you" (I never said that out loud - just really, really loud inside my head and I never scolded him)  I was not a happy camper - and I didn't care how cute he was.  But then I heard that little voice in my head "your dog is a reflection  of you as a dog trainer"  Dang - I hate when that voice is right! It wasn't Mr Mav - it was that my dog training had gotten sloppy.  I had just taken for granted that he had brilliant recalls (which obviously he doesn't) and I got sloppy.  The result was a puppy that wanted to play more than come to da mamma.  I have to thank Mr Mav for that wake up call!  They teach us so much.

Three weeks until we go to Say Yes puppy camp in Ontario - that is great motivation to get our training back on track!  You can learn more about Susan Garrett and Say Yes Dog training on her website - http://clickerdogs.com/

Anyway - back to yesterday's lovely walk - here are some photos. (thanks Sis for all the great shots!)

Tahnis was taking photos while we were playing recall with Mr Mav.  I love this shot!

Mr Mav at my side

Our Cuz - Leroy Brown has been with us for the week while my bro is on holidays.  Mav and Leroy have become great friends.  This was an attempt at a family photo - it's hard to be director and photographer at the same time

Mr Mav checking things out

"Look ma - I can do it with my eyes closed!"  Cinder had a great time too!

He's such a sweet boy - but he can also be a little monkey so don't let the innocent face fool you!

The group shot!  What a great bunch of doggies!


My boys!

My favourite photo of them all!  Me and the boys!






Oh and remember that "friend" who took the naughty photo of Mr Mav - well...it's payback time!  LOL!  Love you Auntie Tahnis!

2 comments:

Monumental Dals 2011 said...

Great photos--as always. The 'boy' is lookin' good. We especially love the payback photo of Auntie Tahnis. What a great group of dogs you and your friends have. The two boys are just too cute together. Mav is definitely in the right place with you! Thanks for always updating your progress with him.

Ch. Highgate's Storm Tracker CGN said...

Jaxon is on the Mainland for his first Show at the end of January (Agriplex is that near you?) he would love to get together for a play date... and or training date with Mr Mav!