Sunday, January 23, 2011

Puppy Camp may be over but the work has just begun

Wow - it was quite a couple of days!  If you ever - and I mean ever - have the opportunity to go to a class from Susan Garrett take it!  At least audit it!  You will learn so much.

When I first got Cinder (almost 7 years ago) I knew nothing about dog training - and even less about agility training.  His training was less than stellar - and his foundation training was almost non-existant (something which I pay for every time we step on an agility course).  We learned many lessons together - and for the record, I wouldn't change Cinder for the world.  He is my once in a lifetime dog and although I will never go to World's with him, he is the dog that got me to World's.

When I started thinking about getting another puppy, I decided that I really wanted to fix all of the mistakes  I made with Cinder.  I read all the books and studied the videos.  For the last year I have been surrounded by World  Team dogs and I was determined that my new pup was going to be trained with excellence in mind.

Then dear Mr Mav come into my life and I was trying to implement everything I had learned.  And then I got lazy.  I rested on Mr Mav's success and didn't push any further.

This weekend was a great eye opener for me.  I came into it thinking that I had well trained puppy with maybe the odd hole in his training.  Well - I do have a great puppy - Mr Mav is wonderful!  But my training is not living up to his potential.

Yes - Mr Mav is wonderful at so many things at home... in my hallway... with no distractions.  But how much have I tested him outside that situation?  How many times has Mr Mav done something wonderfully at home and I just pat my self on the back thinking that I am such a wonderful dog trainer and not pushed him any further?

Well - this weekend sure put things into perspective for me.  Those amazing things that my baby dog could do at home so brilliantly (remember - because I am such a brilliant dog trainer - little scarcasm) weren't so easy for the Mavster in a new environment with lost of distractions.  Instead of getting lazy at home, I should have been pushing my dog - upping the ante for that next cookie - making us both better.

Please don't think that Mr Mav hasn't been trained.  He is house broken - knows his sit and down - and has been crate trained.  Many would think he was a very well trained dog. But I want more for Mr Mav.

I learned many things this weekend, but a big one is - dogs don't lie.  Don't come to class saying you trained something  - because your dog will give it away pretty quickly if you haven't...lol!  I thought I had lots of things trained - but Mr Mav showed me that I was missing a lot of things.  He also showed the instructors what I lacked in his training.  Drat - I was hoping he would keep our little secret...lol!  I was sooo busted!

There were some very hard moments for me over the past couple of days - heck - no one wants to hear they are doing it wrong.  But I am very grateful for those moments and the time my instructors took teaching me in those moments.

So I am leaving puppy camp a better dog trainer and with a list of things to do differently.  Most importantly I am leaving inspired to be better - to learn and grow.

Mr Mav did everything just the way I taught him to do - he wasn't naughty - my training was.  Susan always says that our dogs are a reflection of our abilities as a dog trainer.  It is very, very true.

It would be easy for me to post on my blog how wonderful everything went and how great we are - most of you wouldn't know any different.  But I just couldn't do that.  They say that admitting you have a problem is the first stage of recovery - guess I consider this my first step...lol.

3 comments:

Candy Powell said...

Thank you for the update. You have really inspired me to be better. I plan to get Grace to one of Susan's semianar soon.

Candy and Grace

Ch. Highgate's Storm Tracker CGN said...

Yahoo, I love when I go to seminars coming back and reflecting on all I have learned over the weekend... this post reminded me of a book I love I have read it a few times over Excellerated Learning by Pam Reid.. always good to have a refresher of that book so I remember how dogs learn! I had a weekend like this last weekend with Tracking, remembering things I had forgotten, which really are the simple things... I had several Duhoohhh Moments! Thank goodness we are owned by Dalmatians!

Monumental Dalmatians said...

Excellent review of you and Mav at the seminar. I'm sure you were not the only one who learned a lot--Mav most likely did, too. Yep-our dogs do tell on us. Have had that happen many times. He's in the right place with you. I'm thankful you have him. Thanks for posting.